My favourite hot chocolate: Artisan du chocolat


I can't remember exactly when I discovered the hot chocolate served by Artisan du Chocolat, but it was probably a few years ago. Although everything they make is delicious, this post is really about the hot chocolate. My friend Mona, in the photo above, tried it for the first time yesterday and she said it was "one of the best by far if not the best" hot chocolate she had ever had. Of course I agree!

I reviewed London hot chocolate places some time ago, but I didn't know about this place then, and the quality of their chocolate far supersedes any others I've tried (not just in London, but globally). The hot chocolate isn't really their main product. Their main products are in fact a variety of chocolates they sell. And if you happen to bring a large group of people to the shop for hot chocolate as I did yesterday, you should call ahead (30 minutes or so), so they can prepare enough hot chocolate for your group.

Mona (we Lebanese must stick together) was kind enough to give me her tasting notes for the chocolate: "Smooth, fruity, spiced, rich, great after-taste, not too sweet." It's a really traditional thick hot chocolate, but not so thick that you have to eat it with a spoon. After all, that kind of defeats the purpose of drinking chocolate! Another important difference between this hot chocolate and others I've tried is the balance of alkaline and acidity. Artisan du chocolat's hot chocolate doesn't have this very alkaline taste many others have. For me that means it has a lighter, but no less intense flavour profile, that complements everything else I taste rather than overwhelming it. It also means that the after taste is incredible.

Want to make some at home? You can order it online! While you're there, you could also order some of their other delectable chocolates. My favourites are their pistachio pearls, but they're constantly innovating. Not only does Mona approve of their hot chocolate, but my mom, the pickiest chocolate eater I've ever met, also heartily approves. The chocolate will definitely not be cheap, but I always believe in paying for quality over quantity, particularly for a non-essential food.

They have a few shops in London. The one in Notting Hill has great seating where you can sip your hot chocolate in style under a beautiful green canopy while watching videos of the chocolate makers in action. In London, you can find them at:

Chelsea: 89 Lower Sloane Street
Selfridges: 400 Oxford Street
Borough Market: 8 Southwark St
Notting Hill: 81 Westbourne Grove
T: +44 (0) 1233505170

Comments

Popular Posts