Restaurant Review: Sarchnar, an Iraqi-Kurdish delight!



I have been going to this restaurant on Edgware Road for years, and I love it dearly. The food is incredible and the prices are quite reasonable. Plus they are always very hospitable, even when I come with 10 of my friends!

Sarchnar's best dish, I believe, is the dolma in the above picture. It's stuffed vine leaves, aubergines, courgettes, and peppers, served with a slow-cooked lamb's neck. It's a weekend special, only served Fridays-Sunday, and for me it's enough reason to make sure I go on a weekend. The dolma are delicious, tender, and full of flavour. All their main courses are quite big (probably enough for 2 people!) and on top of that, they come with lentil soup, pickled vegetables, hummus, tzatziki, salad, specialty flatbread, and sides of vegetables that can include beans, potatoes, okra, and roasted aubergines. Those sides are, somewhat incredibly, included with your main. For example, the dolma costs £12, and you will not pay a pence more for the sides and starters. Below is a picture of their traditional, freshly baked bread, which comes served in a large basket.
Another favourite dish of my friends at Sarchnar is the Kuzi, either the chicken or the lamb Kuzi. The lamb Kuzi, which you can get either as lamb neck or lamb shoulder, is the same lamb that comes with the dolma. If you hesitate between the two, take the lamb neck, as its more tender. The chicken kuzi is a fragrant, roasted chicken.  Both come with rice and roasted grains. That's my second-favourite dish after the dolma! 
Their sides are wonderful too, and I especially love the lentil soup they serve you shortly after sitting down. I normally split a dish, or take half home with me as I find the portions are exceedingly generous. If you can manage to fit any more food in your stomach after, they serve you tea with traditional baklava (and you won't pay extra for it either).

The new owner refurbished the whole restaurant earlier this year and it is beautifully done. The wait staff are jovial and very efficient, even with my group of 10 friends! There is also the option of eating at tables outside, and sometimes you'll see people using the outside tables for smoking shisha.

Sarchnar has been one of my regular eating out spots for years, and it is only getting better with time. All my friends love it. Even my parents love it. A highly recommended outing. Make sure to bring cash, as they do not take credit cards. The closest tube is Edgware Road station.

Sarchnar:

397 Edgware Rd
Paddington, London W2 1BT
T: 020 7724 5577

Comments

Popular Posts