Cherimoya Fruit






Years ago, in Lebanon, I tasted this fruit. I was a bit apprehensive at first, because it looks a bit scary from the outside and the multitude of black seeds on the inside. After the first bite though, I couldn't get enough. It tastes like whipped cream with a slight fruity tang. In Lebanon, it's often used to make desserts but I think it is a dessert all by itself. The fruit is apparently native to the Andean highlands of Bolivia, Peru, and Ecuador. In Lebanon its called Ashta. Other names for it are Custard Apple, Chirimoya, and Chirimolla.

Unfortunately, I think in the US, its only grown in California and Hawaii and I usually never see it for sale in the Northeast. Once, I was lucky enough to find some at the Fruit and Vegetable store in Chelsea Market in NYC, but I never found it again. When the fruit is ripe it gives slightly like a ripe avocado. If the fruit is dark brown, you've waited too long. If you find this fruit sold anywhere in Boston, definitely let me know.

Comments

Popular Posts