Le Scheffer Bistro - Classic French Food

Let me preface this post with the fact that the average restaurant in Paris is much better than the average restaurant in London. There, I said it.

Now we can move on to this delicious French neighborhood bistro in the 16th arrondissement in Paris, the Scheffer, near the Trocadero. I had the privilege of eating there yesterday and was mightily impressed by the quality of the cuisine for a little neighborhood place. I am told it is always bursting full and reservations are a must.


For my appetizer, I (and most of the others at my table) ordered "Os à moelle à la croque au sel", which is basically cooked bone marrow presented in the bone, served with toasted bread, mustard, and sea salt on the side. I personally don't like to slather the mustard on the toast before spreading the bone marrow on top, but to each his own. I am a huge fan of this dish and will occasionally make this for breakfast if I can get my hands on marrow bones (this is probably the moment where you're thinking you never want to come to my house for breakfast), so was especially thrilled to see it on the menu. We each received three marrow huge marrow bones with the most succulent marrow inside. I can't really describe the pleasure of eating bone marrow, but think umami X 1000 and that might give you an idea.

As a main course, I had confit de canard (duck confit). I ordered this dish partly out of my cook's curiosity, to compare to the duck confit I had made a couple weeks earlier. Not surprisingly, Scheffer's duck confit was slightly better than mine (maybe they used more fat!). It was incredibly tender and every morsel melted in my mouth. It was served with little round potatoes that were just as tender and delicious as the duck. I do feel that I was slightly lucky with the vegetable side of my meal, as others at my table did not particularly enjoy the vegetables that came with their main course. The meal ended with a shared piece of apple tart for the table, though it was not particularly noteworthy.

Overall, this restaurant is highly recommended, for the wonderful traditional French cuisine, attentive service (how often can you say that about French restaurants?), and buzzing atmosphere. But maybe save your dessert calories for other places. 

Comments

Popular Posts