A cheap and practical spice storage solution



A few years ago I discovered a genius spice storage device at IKEA. Everyone knows IKEA is the master of storage solutions in general, but this system is especially ingenious. I live in London, a city where kitchens tend to be small and cabinet space is limited. Also, storing your spices in your cabinet results in hard to reach spice jars that require extra time sorting through contents of your cabinet anytime you need a spice. If you cook frequently, and use many spices, this can be annoying to say the least!

This magnetic wall panel, with magnetic containers for spices that have clear lids, is space and time-saving! I hang mine on a wall by my kitchen. It's not only functional, but highly decorative to boot. I always get loads of compliments on it from visitors. Plus you can store seeds and nuts in the jars too. The Grundtal spice containers are sold in a pack of three for £5 and the Spontan magnetic board is sold for £10 and can be hung vertically or horizontally.

If your fridge door is not hidden behind cabinet doors, you could instead use your fridge as a canvas for your spice pots. The only possible improvement I might make is to stick labels with the names of spices on the board above each spice pot. After all, ground coriander and cumin are almost exactly the same colour! I might also consider expanding my spice display...Middle Eastern cuisine requires a large variety of spices. Now somebody advise me how to best store all my teas so they take up less space in my cupboard! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a great idea! Perhaps you should come up with something similar for your teas?

Popular Posts