Recipe: Avocado, Spelt and Zataar Salad


I love salads. Especially avocado salads. And I love using zataar, a Middle Eastern spice mix, on everything. Plus I'd always wanted to try a recipe using pearled spelt, so as soon as I saw this recipe on my Ocado online grocery app, I clicked "buy ingredients" to add them to my grocery order.

The recipe didn't have lettuce originally, but since I love my greens, I added some into mine below. It makes enough for 4 people as a side salad, or 2 people as a main salad (I added some grilled lamb ribs on the side of mine).

Ingredients:

- 24 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 avocadoes, sliced or diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 8 radishes, sliced
- 200 g pearled spelt
- 60 g rocket, spinach and watercress salad mix (or mix of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon zataar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt

Instructions:

In a small pan, cover the pearled spelt with a generous amount of water and heat on high until it boils. Once boiling, add salt, lower the heat to medium, and cook for 15 minutes. Afterwards, drain the spelt in a sieve and rinse with cold water. Add the cooked spelt to a large salad bowl, along with all your vegetables.

In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, about 1 tablespoon olive oil, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of zataar mix.  Tip the dressing into your salad bowl and mix well.

Comments

Popular Posts