Recipe: Turkish Eggs


Turkish eggs, poached eggs on a bed of whipped yogurt, are my go-to breakfast or brunch when I need something really filling. For example, if I'm going to attend a protest, I try to eat Turkish eggs before, knowing I'll be satiated for a long while.

I first discovered them at a fusion restaurant in London called Kopapa (now closed), and decided I'd make my own version at home too. Mine is a bit different from the ones served in restaurant though. I'd say, even better (more on that another day). Some people might protest at the amount of olive oil in this recipe. To these people I say chill out, this is the mediterranean way after all!

This is a recipe for 2 people.

Ingredients:

- 4 fresh eggs
- 2 cups Fage Greek yogurt, or other thick yogurt
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)

Directions:

First of all, take the yogurt out of the fridge so it's not cold by the time you're ready to assemble the dish. Next, add your saffron to a tablespoon of lukewarm water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

While the saffron sits, mix together the olive oil, salt, turmeric, crushed garlic, and chili powder in a jar. Close the lid, shake well, and let it sit.

There are two ways you can poach eggs:

The traditional way is to heat up a pan of about 400 mL of water to a simmer. Then add a teaspoon of white vinegar, stir the water to get a whirlpool going and drop the egg into the whirlpool, letting it cook for 2 minutes only, so that it retains a runny yolk. My brother-in-law, M, has even managed to use this technique to cook about 5 eggs in one go, but I've not managed more than one at a time myself!

The easier way to poach eggs is to use silicone pods called egg poachers. You rub a little oil on the inside, crack your eggs into them and delicately place them on the simmering water. Then you cover the pan and let them steam through for about 3-4 minutes. When they're done, you can run a blunt knife around the eggs to loosen it from the pod.

While your eggs are cooking, take this time to divide the yogurt into two bowls and whip them vigorously with a whisk. This will give your yogurt a lighter and fluffier texture. As you finish poaching the eggs, drop them on top of the yogurt, ending with two eggs per bowl.

For the final step, add your saffron and the liquid it sat in to your olive oil mixture and shake the jar vigorously again. Pour the mix over your eggs and yogurt, dividing evenly between the two bowls. Bon appetit!

I sometimes serve Turkish eggs with toasted whole wheat pita, raw radishes, cucumbers, and raw sliced green peppers to add a bit of a crunch to the experience.


Comments

Popular Posts