Restaurant Review: Wittamer in Brussels


Last weekend, my friend S took me to a famous patisserie in Brussels, Wittamer. The one we went to in Sablon isn't just a pastry shop, but also has a little restaurant upstairs where we happily settled into over a cup of coffee and a pastry. My friend was surprised at how young the crowd was in the restaurant, but maybe today's young folk prefer a jaunt to a patisserie over a bar!

We both ordered capuccino. My friend S, a bona fide Italian, instantly looked at our capuccinos and predicted they were going to taste horrible (this is an Italian superpower I have yet to acquire). The capuccinos, as it turned out, were not very good, but not quite as horrible as they looked. Still, I'd take a tea over a poorly made capuccino any day!

We also had trouble picking which pastries to indulge in. Yours truly picked the delicacy shown above. It was good, but too sweet for my taste. It had a creme-brulee themed center, with a shiny chocolate ganache covering, and a mini macaron on top. My friend S was slightly luckier with her choice of black forest cake:


It was delicious and not too sweet either, as the filling had a slight sour flavour. Luckily I had pre-negotiated to split our desserts with each other, which worked out really well for me! To her credit, she upheld our agreement, in spite of the fact that her dessert turned out to be better than mine.

This is definitely a great address in Brussels, especially if you have a sweet tooth. My own palette for desserts is vastly diminished as of late, and I prefer not to have dessert at all these days, so it was hard to get really enthusiastic about these cakes. I do, however, believe that a person who likes sweets would be ecstatic about the desserts here.

Wittamer Cafe
13 Place du Grand Sablon,
1000 Bruxelles
Belgium

T: +32 2 512 37 42

Comments

Popular Posts