Kitchen Tips and Tricks: Top 12 Items for Small Kitchens


I have a very small kitchen in my flat, and it happens to be a combined living room and kitchen. That means I'm very picky about what I put in my kitchen and I try to find the cleverest ways to save space so I can fit more in it. Plus, I also used to live in a space with an impossibly small kitchen, and I managed to max out the usable space there. I'm taking all the knowledge I've gained and sharing it with you all here. I'm also dedicating this post to my dear friend LLP, who's getting ready to outfit her own new kitchen.

Here are the top 12 things I recommend in small kitchen spaces:

1. Ikea collapsible steamer, colander and pasta insert:

I bought one (for £5!!) on a trip to Ikea and I have never regretted it. It does the job of 3 things you would otherwise have taking space in your kitchen and it collapses into a flat disk. This is definitely a space saving no brainer. I toss it into the dishwasher for cleaning afterwards, so it's also low maintenance.







2. Nested bowls with lids:

Bowls are essential for cooking and serving, and nothing saves space like a set of three nested bowls. Plus, they come with lids, which means you can pop the lid on and store things in the fridge, or pop the lid on to keep things warm, or to make it easier to transport something. I have a set of nested bowls like these that I use all the time. I also clean these in my dishwasher.






3. Over the sink chopping board:

In a small kitchen, counter space is usually at a premium, so this over the sink chopping board can magically create extra space for food prep. Also, wooden chopping boards have another function: a surface to display cheeses, fruits, and charcuterie. Unlike plastic chopping boards, wooden ones are also more hygienic (but they don't go in the dishwasher).





4. Magnetic spice board:

This was another brilliant IKEA find, and I even dedicated a whole blog post to it in the link above. It has saved me so much cupboard space to be able to display my spices on the wall. And it looks so colourful, it's almost like an art piece. I especially love not having to rummage through the cupboard to find the spice I'm looking for.  The pots do wear out a bit over the years, but I say fair game after 5+ years of use!






5. Shelf insert:
If you've got tall cabinets without a lot of shelves, these shelf inserts are perfect for creating a little bit of extra space to store different things. It's perfect for pantry items too!









6. Handsome glass jars to display dried goods:

Food packaging can take up a lot of space, so you could organise your cupboard better by using glass jars for storing dried goods like rice, pasta, beans, coffee, and nuts. Since the jar is clear, you would also know when you're running low and need to stock up again. If you don't have much cupboard space, you could put these on bookcases or shelves near your kitchen area.





7. Tea box to display teas:

Tea packaging can take up a lot of space in your cupboard. You can take some of that space back by storing teas in this type of wooden box. It's so nice it doesn't need to be hidden away in a cupboard either. And when you present houseguests with the teas you can offer, it's easy and elegant. I bought mine from a co-worker who was selling things off before moving to another country. Score!

8. Pyrex dishes with lids:

These genius storage containers are multifunctional: ovenware, tableware, fridge storage, and to go containers. Plus they stack, so they take up less space in your cupboards. I can't recommend these enough, as there's nothing worse than a jumble of mismatched plastic tupperware taking up valuable space in the kitchen. Also, they're glass, so more eco-friendly than plastic, and more durable.






9. Wall organisers to keep clutter off your countertop:

If counter and cupboard space is at a premium, there are additional ways to use up your wall space. These Fintorp rails from Ikea are versatile and allow you to hang a number of things from them: dish rack, plant pots, cutlery baskets, condiment racks, and hooks to hang other things. Keeping the counters clear not only gives you more workspace when cooking, but it also makes your kitchen look bigger and neater. Another variation of this is the magnetic knife rack.




10. Hanging pot rack:

Pots and pans can take up a LOT of space in your kitchen. If you have limited cupboard space, a hanging pot rack is the perfect way to extend your kitchen storage. It's a lovely little industrial or farmhouse touch to the kitchen, and it means all your pots and pans are easily within reach. For decor, you could always put some plants on top.





11. Rollout dish drying mat:

If you have a double sink, but not a lot of counter space for a dish rack, you can buy this ingenious dish drying rack that folds out over your second sink bowl. When your dishes are dry and put away, just roll up the mat and you've got your second sink bowl back. Plus, you can also roll it out part way over the sink bowl if you only have a small amount to dry.






12. Hanging wine glass holder: 

Wine (or stemmed water) glasses also take up a lot of space in cupboards. Luckily, they have stems by which they can be hung upside down. You can attach this wall rack to the wall or under a cabinet, or under a shelf. Genius! 

Comments

Popular Posts