Restaurant Review: FM Mangal, the Excellent Turkish Grill


About a year ago, I discovered this fabulous Turkish grill in my area and I have to say it's one of my favourite places to go (I'm a regular). The grills here are outstanding - FM Mangal have a big charcoal grill. They even grill your flatbread for you, and serve it with grilled onions and garlic marinated in vinegar as a little starter before your meal. Aside from the food, I love the warmth with which I am always welcomed here.

Everything here is great, but one of my favourite dishes is Kaburga Tarak - grilled lamb spare ribs. As someone who avoids refined carbohydrates, I always ask for double salad with mine, and no rice (see picture above). The ribs are succulent and I have no shame eating them with my hands in front of anyone. The salad that accompanies them is equally delicious - full of tasty vegetables in a mix of colours.

My friend E ordered a delicious meal of grilled lamb cubes mixed with flatbread, tomato sauce, and yogurt. We also finished our meal with me ordering a proper Turkish coffee. In addition to the grilled bread with onion that comes with all meals for no extra charge, they always provide a bit of sliced fruit and Turkish delights at the end of the meal as part of the same principle. As a picky Lebanese eater, however, the only thing I avoid here is the hummus, because it cannot compare with the hummus we make in the Levant.


I have probably been to FM Mangal more than a dozen times easily, and their food has never disappointed me. Sometimes the service can be slow, especially when they get busy, but this has not been a problem of late. They have seating on two stories, so plenty of space for people and even large groups. It is on the popular Camberwell Church Street, a great restaurant hub in its own right, and is my personal favourite there.

Restaurant details:

54 Camberwell Church Street
Camberwell, London, SE5 8QZ
T: 020 7701 6677

Comments

Popular Posts